JOHN CRESS, D.Min., FCEP
Walla Walla, Washington
Andrews University, D.Min., Leadership, 2000
Andrews University, M.Div., Leadership and Counseling, 1980
Southern Adventist University, B.A., History and Religion, 1977
Memberships & Associations
- Fellow in Charitable Estate Planning (FCEP), Charitable Estate Planning Institute
- Association for Healthcare Philanthropy, Past Member
- Rotary Club of Walla Walla, Past President and Director
- Paul Harris Fellow
- Don Sherwood Fellow
- Walla Walla University Annual Community Service Award, Honoree
- Community Council, Past Treasurer and Trustee
- Walla Walla Ministerial Fellowship, Past Officer
- Helpline of Walla Walla, Charter Trustee and Board Chair
- Walla Walla General Hospital Foundation, Executive Director, 2008-2017
Blue Mountain Broadcasting Association, President, 2005-2008
Walla Walla University Church, Pastor, 1984-2008
- Walla Walla University, Campus Chaplain, 1988-2001
- Arizona State University, Campus Minister, 1982-1984
- Flagstaff Adventist Church, Pastor, 1980-1982
- Camelback Adventist Church, Ministerial Intern, 1979-1980
JOHN CRESS, D.Min., FCEP
John Cress has enjoyed a successful leadership career in the nonprofit sector, with distinguished roles in higher education, religion, healthcare, broadcasting, social services, and community organizations. He is a gifted communicator and facilitator with a broad range of experiences including community hospital chief development officer, university vice president, campus chaplain, pastor, adjunct professor, and nonprofit founder and trustee.
John’s listening skills and expertise in helping people clarify their core values and fulfill their most important objectives and aspirations are qualities that enable him to serve individuals, families, and nonprofits well, in collaboration with his Thompson & Associates professional colleagues.
As one who believes that humans are hardwired for story and live their lives in and through their individual and interconnecting narratives, John is a deeply curious student and enthusiastic gatherer and teller of life-transforming stories.
John and his spouse, Pamela Keele Cress, Ph.D., a university administrator and bereavement scholar and practitioner, share a passion for excellence in leadership, relationship building, and community service. Walla Walla, Washington has been their home for more than three decades. Pam and John have two daughters—one is a publications editor and the other a hospital chaplain—and three delightfully lively grandchildren. The Cress family enjoys traveling, reading, storytelling, music, laughing out loud, community engagement, and spending time with family and friends.